Craft-y · Mom-y · Uncategorized

First blog post – Solving the drooling dilemma

My very first! The inaugural post!

Since I haven’t done any interesting baking recently, let’s start this blog off with a crafty post!

My daughter is currently 10 months old, soon to be 11, and has taken a giant, feet-first leap into drooling. With hand-me-down outfits waning as we start catching up to the cousin we’re getting clothes from, constantly changing outfits began to get frustrating. Since I didn’t feel like washing my daughter’s entire wardrobe every week, I did some research on making those adorable bandana-style bibs. I found a few different store-bought types, but I adore using my sewing machine and serger, so I went for the DIY approach instead.

First step was checking the other mommy blogs to see who else had had the same idea. Turns out, a lot of people. No surprise. DIY is huge in the baby world because it saves money and lets moms (or dads) customize their kids’ stuff so their baby isn’t wearing the same thing as every other baby. Oh yes, wanting fashion to be individual starts while they’re still in diapers! I ended up going with the template from Project Nursery (blog found here), and then experimented until I sewed it the way I liked.

Second step was getting the right fabric. I let my girly side out and got one pink pattern of flannel and one neutral. After all, just because I have a daughter now doesn’t mean my next kid will be a girl, and I definitely don’t want to be that parent who dresses their son in pink. Not that I have anything against gender equality among the colors, especially when the baby isn’t aware enough to know what color they’re wearing, but people can be so judgy.

I’m already sick of strangers telling me what a cute son I have as they coo over my baby girl. I don’t want to be the reason I get told how adorable my little girl is if/when I have a boy the next time around.

So, baby girl and I perused Joann’s Fabrics until we found two cute flannel designs and a coordinating gray sweatshirt fabric, the kind with the fleecy interior. Since she’s terribly afraid of my sewing machine, I had to use her nap times wisely, but after only a few flops I figured out my personally perfect way to sew her new bibs: stitch the top regularly with a slightly over 1/4 inch seam and right sides facing, then flip it right-side out (technically not inside out because it starts off inside out) and serge the bottom seam!

It took me forever to figure out how to serge a corner, but thankfully YouTube exists! This video seriously saved me, though I still don’t know how to properly end a serge seam.

The end result…. ta da!

baby in bib

And they work like a charm! With the flannel on top and the fleecy sweatshirt material on bottom, the flannel gets soaked but her onesies stay dry.


*With 1/2 a yard of both flannels and a full yard of the fleecy stuff, I’ve made 10 bibs and still have extra fleece. I probably could’ve gotten more out of the flannel, but I got stuck in a rut of cutting rectangles for easy folding/pattern cutting, and didn’t think to economize the material until halfway through.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s